Monday, July 16, 2012

Time to take a serious look at Wesley Ward's raced 2-year-olds

Wesley Ward's 2-year-olds used to not have much relevance after extremely impressive debuts, but this year I see his horses building and improving in their 2nd and 3rd starts. The latest is The B's and E's, who had a surface he should have been able to handle May 21 at Woodbine on the synthetic, but could do no better than a 3rd and a 39 Beyer. Going 7f on the turf at Belmont Sunday, he was never threatened in the stretch, and paid $22.60. If Ward has changed his goals and is now making good on the alteration, that is not an easy thing to do. He's shown himself to be innovative, and being able to adjust seems a similar skill. It's also certainly possible that my previous impression of his horses and training, or the limitations I perceived, were not entirely accurate. If that is true, I'm happy that at least I've noticed they were not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment