Monday, April 30, 2012

Awesome Overture beats River Rush in Woodbine maiden; Queen's Plate implications?

The first-out winner of Sunday's race, Awesome Overture, is an obvious candidate, but I think I like River Rush, who finished full of run to be 2nd, even better. I even liked this horse after his first race; he finished 8th by 8 1/2 at Gulfstream, but had what I noted was the "absolute trip from hell." (A bit odd to be quoting my notes; what am I going to do, accuse myself of plagiarism?) He's by Orientate, and that doesn't make you think a mile and a quarter, but his broodmare sire is Lemon Drop Kid; the sire of his 2nd dam, El Gran Senor. His 3rd dam is Willamae, dam of Travers' winner, Will's Way, and Ashland winner, Willa on the Move.

Awesome Overture is by Awesome Again out of the Pulpit mare, Fifth Overture, who won the 2005 grade III Seaway at Woodbine.

No comments:

Post a Comment