Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Before notes on BC Juvenile Sprint

So the Marathon ISN'T the first BC race; or it is, but on Saturday. The BC races get off with the Juvenile Sprint. I think Secret Circle could be any kind, but overall the race is kind of disappointing. It drew one filly; since there isn't an equivalent race for fillies, I think some people thought it might draw more. The filly is the English Shumoos, but she's American in the sense of being by Distorted Humor, out of Wile Cat by Storm Cat out of dirt grade I winner Strategic Maneuver. She has a strong dirt pedigree. She also has good European form, although two of her last three haven't been good.

Seeker is another horse who appears to have upside, with that 95 Beyer at Saratoga. Maybe the Nashua was just a throwout.

Trinniberg is certainly a speedball. At $21,000, he was a bargain buy this April. He worked in 10 1/5. They went as fast as 9 4/5, so that didn't stand out, but makes you think the buyers did get a look at his speed.

So if you take an optimistic view of all of the horses in here, the field could produce some talent, but really the race doesn't look to be on the grade I path. If Secret Circle becomes one of the sport's stars, that will compensate for a lot of sins, though. I remember his last was thunderous, and from his debut, I was surprised the 97 Beyer wasn't higher. He also seems to have pedigree to stretch out. I guess I can't stop talking about him. If only he weren't trained by Baffert.

No comments:

Post a Comment