Friday, March 23, 2012

Passing Mood and Summer Mood: The first ROARF edition of "horses I confuse"

I get excited whenever I see Summer Mood in pedigrees, because I think she is Passing Mood, who was dam of With Approval and Touch Gold. That Summer Mood is also a Canadian-bred doesn't help matters. Both Passing Mood and Summer Mood were bred and owned by Kinghaven but are no relation. With Passing Mood, who came first, one can see what Kinghaven was doing with the name: she's out of Cool Mood, and Buckpasser gives you the "passing." But what was going on with Summer Mood? How do you get that from Raja Baba out of Fairly Regal, by Viceregal? If Kinghaven decided to go with 'Mood' again, in light of Passing Mood, that would be a bit strange, because Passing Mood was just a minor stakes winner. Summer Mood, on the other hand, went on to be a major Canadian stakes runner, winning over $500,000, also over ten times what Passing Mood made. In the shed, however, it was all Passing Mood, with Summer Mood not doing too much of note, at least from what I can tell from pedigreequery.

The point of "horses I confuse" posts, aside from just my weird sense of humor, is to emerge no longer confuse the horses, of course. Going through the horses in detail, one engages with their records more deeply, and hopefully begins to actually know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment